Paying for tuition

Take advice from your ADI on:

- all aspects of driving

- what books to read

- when to take your test

- how to practice.

To qualify an ADI must:

- have held a full driving licence for at least four years

- pass a much tougher theory test than the one you will take

- pass a strict driving test

- reach and keep up a high standard of instruction. The standard of tuition given by the ADI is regularly checked by a supervising examiner from DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency)

- be registered with DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency)

- Hold a current ADI licence.

Choosing an Instructor.

- Ask friends and relatives to recommend someone they know.

- Try and choose an Instructor who:

- has a good reputation

- is reliable and punctual

- has a car that suits you.

If you are paying someone to teach you to drive, they must be approved and registered with DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency) in N.Ireland. A fully qualified Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) will have an Instructor licence issued by DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency).


You can practise with friends and family but they must not receive payment of any kind. Ensure you are covered by insurance to drive their vehicle.


Some Trainee Driving Instructors are granted a licence so they can gain experience before their qualifying examination. In this case, they will not have completed all three parts of the qualifying process.


DVA (Driver & Vehicle Agency) is responsible for maintaining and checking the standards of all ADIs in N. Ireland.

Mobile: 07759323276 Telephone: (028) 7776 9339

Copyright 2015 Dougie Townley